Thursday, March 22, 2012

closing thoughts

Over the past several weeks I have learned an incredible deal of astrophysics. while, my understanding may only be the tip of the iceberg, The knowledge I have gained has completely changed my thoughts about astrophysics and astronomy. I always knew that a certain amount had to go into collecting data, but I never understood all of the physics and detail that goes into using a satellite to view the cosmos.
I didn't understand that there must be specific filters to eliminate other light. The noise from everything else has to be drowned out to focus on what one want's to study. Also, the light that is observed is very specific to certain transitions within atoms.
I used to think that astrophysics used already known theories from our understanding of our world and tried to extrapolate those concepts throughout the universe. While that is somewhat true, some major data for condensed matter has only been possible because of data astrophysicists have gathered. I also had the misconception that astronomers were not so restricted by there technology, but I have learned that there is a lot of error and restriction that are constantly being pushed with new ways of using technology. I have also learned about the limitations involved with certain technologies. Things as simple as telescopes, given even ideal conditions, are limited due to diffraction and seeing involved in the atmosphere and the very nature of light.
I will continue to learn more about astrophysics because i believe there will be new discoveries across many fields of physics. From massive planets moving at a fraction the speed of light, to newly discovered and analyzed subatomic particles like neutrinos, and even to super condensed matter in neutron stars that is even more dense than the nuclear matter within the nucleus.

No comments:

Post a Comment